Slow response times in v 1.2

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM

An old customer of ours is running their site on version 1.2.

He has been experiencing slow response times for a few weeks now. I checked and indeed sometimes I have to wait literally for a few minutes before the webserver (hostexcellence) responds on my request. On other times the website is blazingly fast. HostExcellence says that everything is fine on their side. The site is using MS SQL Server for the database. Other non-graffiti websites on HosteExcellence run fine.

Could it be that the code contains references to URLS (on the telligent servers) that do not exist anymore since the CMS went open source? Or could there be another reason? Is anyone hosting their graffiti site at HE on MS SQL having the same problem?

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM

YES! We are having the same thing. We're on a state agency server, and it literally slows down the entire server when we try to recall certain pages. Without explaining the entire makeup of our site, it's basically the pages that have the least amount of information on them. I'm completely stumped! Our IT guys are looking into it, will let you know if they find anything. In the meantime, hoping my story will show there is a real problem with Graffiti, and not just your site!

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2010 at 11:52 PM
@wahousegop If you are using VistaDB please see this thread and use the tool that is provided: http://graffiticms.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=212713 @guruvash There are many URLs hard coded to Telligent owned domains that no longer exist. I don't know if these would cause those kind of issues. I do know I have several Graffiti CMS 1.2 sites up and running still with no issues at all. I guess there could be timeouts that different hosts have set to different values--not sure.
Jun 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Somehow one day the problem disappeared. Still no clue what happened.

Probably something the hosting provider fixed silently.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM

We aren't using Vista. First used XP and now I'm on 7. What URLs are hard coded? Should I try to find and remove these? I'll forward this thread to our IT staff.

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM

VistaDB is the underlying database that Graffiti may be utilizing and has nothing to do with Windows Vista or your workstation OS. You should tell your IT staff about this thread http://graffiticms.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=212713. They should run the database maintenance utility on your database, but only if it is a VistaDB type of database. If not VistaDB, there may be other steps necessary shrink/pack the database. I have personally seen dramatic improvements by repacking the database. Even if this isnt the main problem, it will probably help at least a little with regards to slowness issues.

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:07 PM

We don't have a Vista DB, we have a SQL DB. I have forwarded your message on. We may look at upgrading to the open source version and seeing if that helps at all. Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Do you do any maintenance on your SQL database, particularly reindexing the database and Update Statistics?  If not doing that may help your performance.