This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Graffiti 1.3 Beta Release to-do

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:44 AM

I'd like to package up the first binary release of the new open source Graffiti very soon (within the next week). This will be the 1.3 beta release.  Hopefully having a nicely packaged binary release will let more people try it out and report feedback.

If there are any outstanding issues or tasks that you feel need to be completed before shipping Beta 1 please post them in this thread.  Ones I can think of:

1. Get the basic marketplace service I've been working on up & running, and update the default marketplace service url in the source code to point to it.

2. Update any links within the code to point to CodePlex or the appropriate url instead of

3. Do something about the "/feed/" folder not being present for people running on IIS6 (i.e. not using url routing). Perhaps this should be automatically created if the generate files/folders option is turned on.

What else am I missing? :)

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM

What /feed/ do you mean? I just created a new category and the feed folder was created within the new category folder. (using iis6)

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Will you be including instructions to upgrade from Graffiti CMS 1.2 with this beta release?

Were there any SQL DB schema changes?

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Josh, I meant the root /feed/ folder. It got removed when the Url routing feature was added (before open sourcing). Graffiti will generate the folders for categories & category feeds but we need to have it generate the root /feed too if not using url routing.


fpossert, Yes upgrade instructions will definitely be included. They will be very simple - no database changes were made in 1.3 on purpose so the db does not need to be touched.  We are saving the bigger changes that will require db changes for v2.0.


Mar 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM
I can't think of anything else. I've been running a new blog on this code for a couple months now and everything is fine, or at least good enough to be considered a "release" worthy. I am running on IIS6, but I can't remember what I did about the main "feed" folder. I'll check to see if I made any local code updates for that. Or I might have just done it manually :). I'll get back to you.
Mar 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I see, the root feed was already there because I upgraded. Would there be any harm in just including it in the release for now? Would that affect IIS7 users?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM

I don't know how practical it is,  but getting all the old doco from the site back online for the 1.3 release would be a good thing.



Mar 26, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Are all the extra binaries removed now? So people do not need the anymore?

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Yep definitely need to get the docs up.  I have a copy of the db running on my local box right now, but haven't had time to convert the HTML posts into wiki format and post them here. If anyone knows of a script or tool that would convert HTML to CodePlex-wiki-compatible markup let me know. Or I can just setup a temp Graffiti site with the db on my server and ask volunteers to migrate the documentation over to the CodePlex wiki.

Al, no we removed 1 of the original 3 (the editor), but Graffiti 1.3 is still going to require 2 Telligent binaries. Unfortunately that's an extra step we'll have to document. I want to get rid of the dependency on them but it will be some work (since the Telligent controls are widely used in the admin control panel) and don't think it's worth holding up the 1.3 release.  For we could probably use jQuery UI controls and plugins to replace the custom Telligent controls.


Mar 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Hi Kevin,


What about uploading the content to the graffitiCMS domain and installing this "OPEN SOURCE" wiki software on it...


It would allow people to continue to add / edit and update etc



Apr 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Of the items mentioned for a bin release, the feed folder generation has been taken care of way back in change set 43212, and I've probably jumped the gun a bit but I've updated nearly every reference.

Docs have also been copied over and mostly updated with the exception of forthcoming changes involving marketplace and possibly some changes to the upgrade proceedure.

I think there are a couple other minor items to fix:

  • change the dashboard news feed to something else, probably a news feed from
  • a currentversion.xml file should be available hopefully at so 1.2 users will be notified on the dashboard that new version is available.
    Maybe in the future point to or somehow have it check the current release ver on codeplex if thats even possible.
  • Quickly proof the new docs and remove outdated docs from to avoid confusion

I've been keeping an eye on the Issue Tracker and pretty much every item is a feature request now.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Ship! ;) (waiting ever so patiently)

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Any estimated release date?  I'm looking forward to testing out the 1.3 release.

May 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM

The release should include package.exe which has been missing for a while. I know it was not in the final 1.2 release and certainly nowhere to be found in 1.3, but I have attached a copy to the patches list. I would have added it to the source however it appears to be branded with Telligent's name so I wasnt sure if we can legally distribute it. Maybe it should be included with the closed source lib files or maybe its source could be opened as well?

package.exe is refered to in documentation here

May 13, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Are there any plans to include the ClientAPI Library (either in source or binary form)??

It would also be nice (but understandably difficult) to clarify the status of the datamover.exe, package.exe, and clientAPI library (ideally before the 1.3 release) as to whether they will be added to the source tree, or remain binary only and therefore need to be rebuilt / replaced.