This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem with Graffiti CMS 1.2 license

May 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right place to request advice/support regarding Graffiti CMS 1.2, but now I'll give it a try.

I have already tried to get support directly from Telligent as my problem is connected with the former commercial version of Graffiti CMS 1.2, but Telligent have just answered that they do not provide support for Graffiti anymore and therefore they directed me here.

In 2009 I bought 5 licenses for Graffiti CMS 1.2. I put one site online instantly and it works great.

Yesterday I launched the second site, but ran into problems when trying to install the next Graffiti license. It seems like the Telligent-server that should acknowledge/validate the license is not working anymore.

First I tried to type in the license in the field “License Key” in the Graffiti CMS control panel:
Result: I got an error in the control panel saying that the remote server was unavailable.

Then I tried to upload a license.xml file in the field “Manual Upload” in the Graffiti CMS control panel: I had a long time ago generated this XML file from: https://get.graffiticms.com/license/
Result: This time I get a permanent ASP.NET error: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable. Now I constantly get this error when trying to log into Graffiti CMS control panel.

I am really stuck, and I hope someone can post a solution to this problem.

I'm aware that Graffiti is now being developed as an open source version, but as there has not yet been released a stable binary production ready version, we have spent a considerable amount of time developing our new site in Graffiti 1.2.

The primary reason why we need the license to work is because our site have more than 3 users and we will rely on the workflow functionality in the licensed version of Graffiti 1.2.

My questions are:

1) How can we resolve the problem that we can currently not log into the control panel due to the license server being unavailable?

2) How do we activate the advanced functionality of the licensed version of Graffiti 1.2, when the license apparently cannot be validated normally by Telligent anymore?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Henrique

PS: I can of course forward a license number if it is needed to suggest a solution.

Coordinator
May 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM

It seems Telligent has washed their hands of the Graffiti product now that it is freely available via this open source project. There is really no reason to stick with 1.2 since 1.3 has some major improvements. I can say that the 1.3 alpha source has far fewer bugs than 1.2. Upgrading is very easy and well worth it, giving you access to ALL features that were available with a paid license. The only catch is VistaDB isnt supported any longer but you can convert to MSAccess if you dont want to move to a larger SQL product.

We are really close to the 1.3 beta release but for now you can just download the source here and compile it yourself. If you dont have access to VS2008 C#, you might be able to compile it with a free "express" version from here.
I've never tried it with express so I cant promise it will work, just an idea.

May 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Once had this problem. I think I solved it by deleting the row containing GraffitiLicense from the graffiti_ObjectStore table.

As for question 2: I'm curious also.

Coordinator
May 7, 2010 at 6:19 AM

As Josh said, your best bet is going to be to upgrade to 1.3. All licensing code was removed in 1.3 so all those features are available for free. Unfortunately 1.2 was not retroactively made open source so you won't be able to modify your 1.2 version to remove the licensing check.

If you are running VistaDB.. there's a chance that you might actually be able to use it with 1.3 if you use your old 1.2 version of DataBuddy.dll and add back in the VistaDB config settings in web.config. The db schema has not changed in 1.3 so in theory that would work, but haven't tried it.

May 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM
kevin wrote:

As Josh said, your best bet is going to be to upgrade to 1.3. All licensing code was removed in 1.3 so all those features are available for free. Unfortunately 1.2 was not retroactively made open source so you won't be able to modify your 1.2 version to remove the licensing check.

If you are running VistaDB.. there's a chance that you might actually be able to use it with 1.3 if you use your old 1.2 version of DataBuddy.dll and add back in the VistaDB config settings in web.config. The db schema has not changed in 1.3 so in theory that would work, but haven't tried it.

I confirm that upgrade to 1.3 and used VistaDB and everything OK, because current my site used the latest build (1.3.xxx) and VistaDB

Done.

May 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Look for the record named 'GraffitiLicense' in the table named 'graffiti_ObjectStore', copy the information in the field named 'data'.  You'll notice that it's XML.  Simply save that XML file to your desktop then manually upload that XML in the 'Site Options', 'Licensing' section of the admin tool.

You'll be all set.

Well, it worked for me anyways!

May 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for great and very useful input.

I followed your suggestions and have now succeeded installing Graffiti 1.3 Alpha. It was not really a simple process as I'm a non-developer, but with a few trials and errors in Visual Studio it now seems to work very well with MS SQL.

@jkillebrew: I was not able to compile with the free Express version of VS2008. Instead I had to download a trial version of VS2008 Standard.

Are there any files/folders I should remove from the installation, before I upload the Graffiti.web files to the production server?

Next challenges - Plugins and localization

• On my other Graffiti 1.2 site I use plugins from Graffiti Extras, but as far as I can read in the discussion forums, Graffiti Extras will not work with Graffiti 1.3. Is that correct or has it been fixed?
    I'm especially interested in Blog Extensions, RSS Extender, Sitemap and Pingomatic.
    When clicking "Search online plugins" in the Graffiti Admin section, I get an error: An unexpected error has occurred connecting to the marketplace.
  • In the old Graffiti Forums there were many requests for localization of simple messages in Graffiti. As far as I can see these issues have still not been resolved. Is it correct that it is not possible to change these messages in Graffiti?
    "All of the fields are required, your message has not been sent" (Contact form)
    "The email address you entered is not valid" (Contact form)
    "Your message was received. Thanks!" (Contact form)
    "Your comment has been received and will be published shortly. Thanks!" (Comment form)
    "Please enter your name" (Comment form)
    "Older posts" (Post list)
    "Newer posts" (Post list)
    I notice a new ressources.xml file. Wouldn't it be ideal if these messages could be edited directly in the xml file?

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction regarding plugins and localization too. Thanks!

Coordinator
May 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM

The Graffiti Extras plugins will work if you download the source code and recompile it targeting .NET 3.5. I am using them in a Graffiti 1.3 site.

I am not sure about the localization question, though most of those messages are located in the /ajax.ashx.cs file. You could modify them there, though if you are not a developer I am not sure you want to get into that. :-)

Coordinator
May 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM
Edited May 24, 2010 at 10:35 PM

You can delete all the .cs and .pdb files as well as the obj, properties, and i think resources folder in the root. If you were to publish via VS, i dont think those would get copied up but since you're new to VS, this is good enough.

Old plugins havent yet been officially updated but as madkidd said, you can compile your own. The market place is down and is under construction.

As for the messages, changing them in the source would work, but I opted to just modify some javascript. All can be changed with some modifications to graffiti.js. I typically add something like

/********************* COMMENTS ************************/

var Comments = new Object();

Comments.statusMessage = function(text, alertOnNull) {

var result = $('#comment_status');

if (result != null) {
        result.show();
        result.html(text);

if(text == 'Your comment has been received and will be published shortly. Thanks!') {
          result.html('Your message has been received. Thanks!')
          $('#comment_form').hide(); 
        }

A similar change can be made for other changes to the comment_status contents or other fields by doing this. Its not pretty and its certainly hacking core (NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!) and its a pain to maintain as new versions are released. Instead you may want to write a separate script with custom form validation or something that detects and injects replacement messages. Hopefully we can set custom values for these in the future. Maybe you should submit this in the issue tracker.

As for the Older and Newer posts labels on the pager, use $macros.Pager(string cssClass, string previousText, string nextText)