Comparison to blogengine.net

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I'm a fan of graffit - I especially like the ease of creating addins/widgets - but it does suffer from the lack of a big user base, or so it seems, so I am weighing other options for an upcoming project.

Has anyone here done a comparison of blogengine.net and graffiti and would care to give the top key differentiators? Does anyone know if blogengine.net has a similar/lesser or greater amount of users/developers contributing to the project?

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I did one major project on BlogEngine.NET and ended up having to migrate it to Graffiti CMS for two major reasons (maybe neither of these will matter for you):

1. My client hated the interface in the admin for BE.NET. They had come from a Community Server 2.1 installation for their blogs and were not at all happy with the UI of the admin section, or how BE.NET handle user implementation for multiple bloggers. (From my understanding BE.NET does not claim to be a multiple-blogger platform and I had to use some hacks to get it to work right.)
  2. This was the biggy for my client: did not properly support being hosting in a webfarm environment. My client require everything to live on a webfarm and due to how BE.NET implements caching the nodes would not be in sync, and worse the RSS feeds would even be synced differently. So, people were getting notification via RSS that a new post was live, but when they would click to read it may hit a node that thinks that page hasn't even been created yet. Graffiti CMS also uses caching, but it properly updates the cache when posts are added or changed.

With those two items I had no other choice then to migrate to Graffiti CMS and I have never looked back. IMO (which isn't worth much) Graffiti is a much more mature and pleasant experience than BE.NET and especially when you are dealing with a true CMS need vs just a Blog. With it now being open source, it is just all that much better because you can extend, add-on, fix bugs, or whatever else your mind and dream up (or have the knowledge how to program anyway).

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Yea, I did notice right away that the admin interface was not as nice - webfarm wouldn't be an issue for this particular client.

How about the ease with which widgets can be developed and simply dropped into the app? - I love the way graffiti does that. Does blogengine.net offer a similar experience?

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM
ejbrennan99 wrote:

How about the ease with which widgets can be developed and simply dropped into the app? - I love the way graffiti does that. Does blogengine.net offer a similar experience?

I did not develop any widgets or extensions for BE.NET so I can't really say. I do it all the time with great ease for Graffiti though.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I use blogengine now and looking for something new and ended up here. Is there a way to easily migrate from blogengine to graffiti? i use SQL server db in blogengine.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM

-graffiti cms has custom fields which can be varied from category to category which is not the  case with the BE.NET.

-graffiti has a very good UI or theme creation mechanism using chalk framework.

-BE.NET supports multilanguage (localization) which is not yet an option in graffiti

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM

thanks sijs..

Do you have any easy way to migrate to graffiti from be.net?

i also need some features other than articles / posts. with numbers and data in tabular form directly saved in Db. do you think Graffiti can support this?

like traders call in www.investorinfo.in

thanks. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM
hi joerpnet, i had to transfer the data once but i did it through coding a small utility. that just worked quite well. bcz both applications saves documents and images in different directry structure and if you have some image links in the content of your post then it needs to be updated. talking about the features its really easy to create custom fields on some particular category with different data types like date, string, number etc. but if you want to show a data from your custom table to graffiti you can easily develop a chalk extension to show it in any manner. developing chalk extension or plugins both are really easy. just see some examples. in graffiti we get more control over the look n feel of the site like you can create separate view files for home page , category page, search page or even some particular post page which is really a nice feature for me. secondly you can do some small modifications in files using graffiti admin panel which is not available in BE. about supporting a grid like in www.investorinfo.in i would surely say yes. you might need to create a separate view fiels for that post , page or home page in order to show your grid but remember one thing graffiti view fiels are simple html files that use html and chalk markup in combination, hence anything which you want to be database driven needs to be done in chalk extension or through plugin .
Aug 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Thanks sijs. It was very helpful. Appreciate for taking time to respond. thanks again.
Aug 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Hi joerpnet, how do you display the category wise post on the front page in your website investorinfo.in

I am also using blogengine.net as a cms for my site 8085projects.info

I want to display the latest post on each category on the front page(default.aspx) as like yours. Can you share the code.

Thanks

Binu

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Binu,

I had changed the core to make this work, will share the code shortly...

thanks.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM

Thanks Joerpnet for your reply,

My email id is binu_ji at yahoo dot com

Binu