This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

lib folder location

Editor
May 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Can I make a suggestion that we move the lib files to another server? 

They currently reside on http://graffiticms.com/lib/lib.zip.  Is there some licensing issue with moving them into the source code, not in the bin, but in a lib folder.  Or moving them to extendgraffiti.com.  Is there some reason why we can't move these files that I am unaware of?

Editor
May 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Edited May 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Update to my first post.  I noticed that the lib file are in the source code.  Is there a reason then that the documentation (and codeplex main page) still have references to graffiticms.com for these files?

Editor
May 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Apologize for posting three times (and the email spam), I should have investigated this a bit further.  I see that these "extra" lib files are licensed from Telligent.  Can we move away from these dlls (Telligent.DynamicConfiguration and Telligent.Glow)? 

I would prefer that this project rely on as few proprietary libraries as possible.  OK, there, I think I'm done talking with myself.

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Edited May 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Go for it! Actually one of the three has already been removed when Kevin updated the editor from the custom Telligent editor to a current version of CKeditor. The other two are pretty heavily integrated into the control panel. They are responsible for everything from tabs to drag and drop widgets, navigation and category sorting, and even the date selector/validator. It has been mentioned that goal with 2.0 is to move away from those two remaining libs but it will not be a simple task. I was looking through them with Reflector and it seems most of the stuff could be replaced with some simpler jQuery scripts and plugins. Each component would be fairly simple to replace but there are just so many!

Besides those, Graffiti is dependent on several other libraries such as Lucene.Net, RssToolkit, and NVelocity. RssToolkit hasnt seen an update in like three years i think. NVelocity development hasnt had much activity in maybe 8 months or more and I've already had to recompile it to fix the Medium Trust issue. I'm not sure those are so much of an issue because they are open source and I suppose we could start our own branch within this project if necessary.

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I'd also love to move away from these binaries, however I don't believe we should do so for the 1.3 release because of the scale of the work required.

• Telligent.Glow contains various UI components which we should be able to replace with JQueryUI or something similar.  That said, Glow is used all over the control panel so replacing this is going to be no small job.
  • Telligent.DynamicConfiguration is used for the theme configuration, we can likely make use of the code used for configuring plugins, but moving to this is likely to be a breaking change meaning that themes for 1.2 and earlier won't be configurable in 1.3.