Graffiti Extras Sitemap Generation and GoDaddy

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Trying to get a new site up and running on GoDaddy, but I can't figure out what needs to be done to get the Sitemap plugin from the GraffitiExtras project to work in a hosted solution. Is there a way to get GoDaddy to have Asp.Net handle .xml files? I know that several of you have set up Graffiti on GoDaddy, so I'm hoping that one of you has run into this already.

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The sitemap generator actually creates the XML file on disk. So, ASP.NET doesn't need to handle *.XML files, but you do need to have permissions to write to the root of your website from ASP.NET.

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Okay, cool. Now, does anyone know what is needed to get that permission set up in GoDaddy? Do I need to contact them directly for that? Sorry, this is actually the first Graffiti site that I've built that is on a hosting provider and things like this are why I have actively avoided third-party hosting.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Charles

Log into your hosting account with GoDaddy. Go to the File Manager. Check the folder that holds your Graffiti website, then click on the Permissions icon. You can then set read & write permissions for that folder by checking the appropriate options.

However... In order for Graffiti to even work, you should already have set the write option anyway. So I'm a bit puzzled.

For me, I created a separate folder from the root for my Graffiti site and called it, unimaginatively, /blog. I rooted the Graffiti app to that folder in GoDaddy (use the Content | IIS Management option) and set the read & write permissions as well. For the SiteMap generator, I set the file name to ~/sitemap.xml, and the domain name to blog.boyet.com (and I'd already mapped this subdomain to /blog). Works OK for me.

Cheers, Julian

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone - it turns out that it was just me not thinking. It only updates the XML file when a post is added/deleted, and all of the posts were already created before we put the site up on GoDaddy. I just needed to create a new post and it was fine.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM
charlesboyung wrote:

Thanks for the help, everyone - it turns out that it was just me not thinking. It only updates the XML file when a post is added/deleted, and all of the posts were already created before we put the site up on GoDaddy. I just needed to create a new post and it was fine.

Oh yeah. I wonder if we should add an event to a plug-in being enabled then the sitemap plug-in could be updated to run once on enable.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM
madkidd wrote:
charlesboyung wrote:

Oh yeah. I wonder if we should add an event to a plug-in being enabled then the sitemap plug-in could be updated to run once on enable.

I don't know if that's really necessary. There is an action that occurs on plugins when you enable them. I use it in several of my plugins to create categories, custom fields, etc. The sitemap plugin could just run when that happens.