This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Graffiti and HTML5?

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Any problems adding HTML5 content to Graffiti?

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:37 AM

What kind of problems would you anticipate, exactly?

I could certainly be wrong, since I don't have much HTML5 or Graffiti experience, but rendering HTML5 is really a client-side activity, so I would imagine that you could put any tags you wanted into any CMS (Graffiti or otherwise).

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Matt is correct. There shouldn't be any problems with Graffiti taking in HTML5 content. The WYSIWYG editor is not really going to support it because the version we are currently using doesn't do so (not sure if any version does yet), but you can still add HTML5 tags and they should just get treated like any other text.

Graffiti just takes text and spits it out to the browser. It's up to you to determine what text you want it to use.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Thanks guys - not anticipating any problems, but the version of Community Server (2008.5) I'm using now suggests/requires an IE=IE7 tag, which would negate any html5 tags when using IE9.  Wasn't sure if this was the case for Graffiti.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Nope, nothing like that in Graffiti. In fact, I may try to upgrade my personal site from Community Server to Graffiti (if I can build a good gallery module) and I'll most likely be building that entire site in HTML 5 since I don't need to worry too much about browser compatibility.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

There is absolutely no limitations with HTML 5 since you have 100% control of the markup. The reason CS is limited is because it uses Web Forms which sucks and some of the controls are buried so deeply that changing the markup is almost impossible.

Use this script to add the new tags to the DOM for all version of IE: http://remysharp.com/2009/01/07/html5-enabling-script/.