Comment Notification Behavior

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Hi-

One of the things that's been an annoyance to me is the manner in which I get notified about comments (and trackbacks and the like). Currently I get a notification when the comment/* is submitted. If it's not approved, I get a second notification when I approve the comment manually. I'd really like to only get one alert. I've never really looked in to the infrastructure that does this to see if it's feasible to make this change but I can file a bug if this seems sensible.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I've rarely had a comment caught a spam which was not so I had not noticed this, but I could see where you might need a second notification if you multiple people managing your site, but it would be nice to have the option to toggle. Are you using Akismet?

I also just noticed that notification emails do not include the submitter's email address... Anyone know if that is intentional? I'll always have to look at the comment list to find the senders address so its not really easy to write people back via email.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I get trackbacks/pingbacks in particular caught as false positives all the time. I forgot about the submitter's email - I find this really annoying too. It'd actually be great if the reply-to header was set to the sender's email if present.

I'm using Akismet. It's also gets at least one or two false negatives a week but it's something I can deal with at that volume.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Submit a ticket for this and ill look at it soon. I agree, the reply address should be the sender's address AND it should be listed in the body of the message.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I filed bugs for both issues - 14611 and 14612.

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Check out change set 63643 which fixed my issue as you described in 14611. The commenter's email is now displayed in the body and is used to set the reply-to value.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Cool! How is code quality on the 1.3 branch? I'm still running 1.2 on my site but I could build the latest 1.3 and upgrade.

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM

IMO -- more solid than 1.2. :) -- I've got 1.3 running on many production sites with no issues.