This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Basic site structure, category or post?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I've recently discovered Graffiti CMS and so far I think it is absolutely great!

I was just wondering on best practice for organising a site structure by use of categories and posts.

For example, assume I want to implement the following site structure at top level:

Home

About Us

Products

Download

Contact Us

Home would obviously be a navigation link to "/"

I would be tempted to set the rest up as categories given that I can then build sub-pages with a category (parent) of the top level.

The only part I am a bit confused about is how would I specify content for these top levels (i.e landing pages) - would I need to use the category description field in my template?

Also how would I be able to specify 3rd level pages?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Chris,

If I were setting up this site I would:

Create an About Us post and a Contact Us post and put them in the "Uncategorized" category and make sure the "Show uncategorized posts" option in configuration is turned off. Add a Post navigation item for them. Then you can either let them retain the default "Post" formatting or you can create a separate view for them. Creating a separate view for the Contact Us page is especially useful. Some of the existing themes include a different view for contact-us, I know the PointSpace themes do.

For Products and Download I would create them as a category if you expect to have individual posts underneath it, like individual product or individual downloads. If you only plan on having them be a single page then create them as separate posts in Uncategorized. You could always start them out as a post and later change it to a category if you decide to add posts underneath. Depending on what theme you start with you may need to change it to display the category description in the index template. Like with the custom post views, you can also create a custom view for a category as well.