Error creating a new post

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I just installed Graffiti on a 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate, setup the database, set permissions, etc. and launched the site. I was prompted for a creating a user, did so, logged in successfully and was brought to the dashboard. I changed the theme and tried to create a new post (Called "About" with a body entry of "About") and received the following error:

A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$MainRegion$txtContent="<p>About</p>").

The reason for the error (and the fix) was documented in this thread. Shouldn't the setting be placed in the default Web.config given the growing number of .Net 4.0 IIS servers?

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2012 at 5:02 AM

In my opinion, no it should not at this time. If this line <httpRuntime requestValidationMode="2.0"/> is added as a default, graffiti will ONLY work with a .NET 4.0 application pool. All other versions of .NET would cause it to throw an error.

The vast majority of Graffiti users are most likely not running it in a 4.0 pool. If they have 4.0 installed, there is no reason they would be forced to run graffiti in a 4.0 pool. They could run the pool at a lower version as a fix for this problem as well. Graffiti is currently targetting 3.5.

Also, the default web.config has <compilation debug="true"/> which supposedly fixes this problem as well, though I have not confirmed that. I'd assume the majority of graffiti users have not turned that off, though they should.