This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

What web.config changes are required to run with 4.0 app-pool?

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Today I tried to get graffiticms 1.3 run with 4.0 app-pool (I can only switch the whole site to one target Framework Version: 3.5 or 4.0) because it is required to install another app that is only running with CLR 4.0.
I activated "<httpRuntime requestValidationMode="2.0" />" and thought thats it.
But now I get wired Errors with the apps: "page cannot displayed", or "404.0 not found" for categories and also single Posts addressed by friendly URLs.

Think, this gets in the section how requests are routed. Do I have to Change all "3.5.0.0" dll refs to "4.0.0.0" to make it run and what else? The Version Change I tried and it seems it is not enough. Do I have a Chance to get it run on 4.0? Or should I give up...

11/13/2013 Update: the host Company Support now has switched my account to CLR 4.0, it runs fine for end-users, but: I cannot Login anymore! It just Returns to the Login page with empty Input boxes.
I have tried commenting in and out the above requestValidationMode but without any difference...
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I now found the "issue" with the Login: I used IE11 (just installed this morning). If I put the site running graffiticms into the compatibility list of IE11 then I can Login with success!

Would be cool, if someone can find out why it won't work with IE11 ("normal" mode)...!?
Nov 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM
That one tag you mentioned should be all you need to get this working under a 4.0 app pool, but there might be some unknown quirks, especially if you use custom plugins. If you leave that tag out and run 4.0, the site may look like its working until you modify something and then it will error.

IIS7+ supports URL routing which may be part of your problem with 404 errors. Your web.config should contain url routing tags like the stock web.config that comes with graffiti and the server must support it.

As for IE 11, I couldn't find anything wrong, login works perfectly.
Nov 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Wired. I just tested again with IE 11: removed the site from compatibility list, try to Login same as described: it just stays at the Login page with empty fields :-(

But if you Google about this: https://www.google.com/#q=IE+11+login+issues - it seems there is a serious issue with IE11 in the current delivered state.
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Further Investigation e.g. reading this article related to ASP.NET Cookie usage I checked the web.config and added 'cookieless="UseCookies"' to the authentication/forms element. It is defined as the default usage without the Attribute it use "UseDeviceProfile". And if the host Provider did not updated the device Profile to know about IE11, it fails and do not use Cookies (looks like it does not do anything else, like using URL Parameters) at all.
Adding the cookieless Attribute solved the Problem for me. I now do not have to add my sites to the IE 11 compatibility list!