This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Upgrade Story

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Congrats on getting the project up and running, guys.

I see that version 1.2's changelog mentions proper Routing support. This alone is a compelling enough feature to make me want to upgrade.

I use SQL Server as my backing db, so the VistaDB limitation doesn't affect me. Given that, what's the upgrade story? Can I safely build the project and copy up the assemblies? Or are there database changes that come along with 1.2?

Cheers,
Matt

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Thanks Matt!

There have been no database schema changes since the 1.2 release so you can keep using your SQL Server db with the latest code as of today. However those new changes, including Routing support, should be considered alpha quality code as they have not yet been tested outside of the developers who added them. :)

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Ok, this is good to know. I'll see if I can get a test machine up and running again so I can see if it all behaves.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Right! I have a test site with a copy of my blog's database and the most recent build of Graffiti.

Since I didn't bother copying the folders for each of my posts, when I click through to one on my test server, I'm getting a 404.

Is there some documentation somewhere on setting up Graffiti to use routing?

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM

There is nothing that needs to be done to enable routing. It is on by default.

For routing to work, you will need to be on a server with IIS 7 installed or have all requests mapped to the ASP.Net ISAPI on II6 (I would recommend using previous file generation in this case).

-Scott

P.S. For others testing locally, you should delete your generated ASPX's first. Routing will not work if the file exists on disk.  

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:42 AM

Interesting. Routing just plain doesn't work for me. I get an IIS 404 error unless the folder and default.aspx file exists for the post I'm trying to view.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate so it's IIS7. I created a new web site on port 8080, but I admit I'm no expert in IIS administration so perhaps I've configured it incorrectly.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM

More info!

I published Graffiti to my default web site instead of the new one I had created. When I first browsed to http://localhost upon doing that, I was greeted with the iisstart.htm page! Browsing to /default.aspx gave me a simple "Internet explorer cannot display this page" error.

I switched back to IIS Admin, clicked on the "Basic Settings..." link for my default web site, and switched the Application Pool from "DefaultAppPool" to "Classic .NET AppPool", and then Graffiti started working (except still giving me 404 errors for posts).

Switching back to DefaultAppPool has seemingly made IIS stop working, because now I'm getting an 503 "Service Unavailable" error when just browsing to http://localhost. This is supremely weird.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Having the same problem, when posting from Graffiti, does not create a new directory or display the blog at all

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Make sure you have .net 3.5 SP1 installed. Mine wouldn't work either until I did that.