This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

VS2010: The target "Package" does not exist in the project.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 2:38 AM

When I try to publish the web project in Visual Studio 2010 I get two errors:

Error 1 The target "Package" does not exist in the project. C:\Users\jeremyh\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GraffitiCMS\Trunk\src\Graffiti.Web\Graffiti.Web.csproj 0 0 Graffiti.Web

Error 1 The target "Package" does not exist in the project. C:\Users\jeremyh\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GraffitiCMS\Trunk\src\Graffiti.Web\Graffiti.Web.csproj 0 0 Graffiti.Web

Error 2 The target "PipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder" does not exist in the project. C:\Users\jeremyh\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GraffitiCMS\Trunk\src\Graffiti.Web\Graffiti.Web.csproj 0 0 Graffiti.Web

Any ideas? I've been digging trying to figure what where this is coming from and what it is trying to do that it cannot and I am just at a loss.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:37 AM

I tested in Visual Studio 2008 and it is working fine. So this is just a VS 2010 issue (I know the source is currently setup for VS2008).

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Make sure you have this line in your .csproj or .vbproj file

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" />

May 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Edited May 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I also have this message:  The target "PipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder" does not exist in the project.

It occurs in several projects (maybe all) when I try to publish, and I cannot figure out what's changed.  I have published several things successfully two days ago, and can thing of anything I changed between the time I was successful and when I started getting this message.  I don't think it's in the project files, because they all seem to fail, so I must have installed something that caused it.  I do remember that there was an automatic Windows update that ran.

I do have the "Import Project" in the .csproj file.  I compared what's above to what's in my project file, and they are character-for-character identical.

My projects build and run fine locally.  The only problem is that I cannot publish, either to a server with FTP or to the local file system.

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I have both VS 2008 and VS 2010 installed and have had no issues getting it to upgrade and compile under 2010. I cant say if just VS2010 installed alone would be a problem, like maybe something from 2008 is required?? I have to say VS2010 is unacceptably slow on my core 2 quad system. Debugging is painfully slow and intelliSense causes each line of code to take twice as long to type in as it seems to take too long to search for possible autofill suggestions. Since this project targets .NET 3.5 I'd suggest using 2008 for now, at least until they release VS2010 SP1 or something. I've gone through all the suggestions to speed things up and its just nowhere near as fast as 2008. Just my 2 cents.

May 31, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Thanks for your help.  I reinstalled Visual Studio, and the problem went away.