This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Graffiti.Web :: From VS to the Web

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

What is the best way to go from VS to the Web? I tried using the VS 2008 "Publish" feature but I noticed a lot of files are then missing, but when I look at the folder structure for the source Graffiti.Web folder there are a lot of extra files there that don't need to be published. 

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Not a lot of contribution going on on the Graffiti CMS open source project. :( -- What I've gone for now to publish a build of the source to the web site the following:

1. Set VS to "Release" under "Build > Configuration Manager"
  2. Build Solution
  3. Run the following robocopy script:

robocopy "C:\Users\jeremyh\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Graffiti 1.3 Alpha\Trunk\src\Graffiti.Web" "C:\Users\jeremyh\Desktop\Graffiti CMS 1.3 Alpha Build" /E /COPYALL /V /NP /XF *.cs *.csproj *.user *.exe demoError.html /XD resources Properties obj _tfs ..svnbridge /R:10 /W:30

I can then setup database, update Web.config, and FTP everything from the "Graffiti CMS 1.3 Alpha Build" folder up to my favorite flavor web host. Everything seems to be working successfully so far. Please let me know if you see any flaws/errors in using this process.

Thanks! Hope this helps someone else, and I hope the community starts to contribute to this project. Quite frankly I think Graffiti kicks ass. Building websites is fun again! Thank you Telligent for handing the source to the community.

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Thanks, madkidd.

Typically when deploying anything for a personal site I'll just zip up the site folder, open up the zip in winzip and sort the files by extension, remove the unwanted files and then copy that to my web server and unzip. Your robocopy script does the the same thing - but with a little less manual labor :).

I typically do not include the web.config in updates. I usually have different hosting environments locally vs. live (at least connection strings) so I prefer to make any necessary changes manually.