This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Which HTML Editor should Graffiti use?

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Graffiti 1.0 - 1.2 uses the "Telligent Editor", which is a customized (custom licensed) version of the 2007 era FCK Editor that Telligent created for Graffiti CMS. However the source code for this is not being released, and people have reported some javascript issues so we need to replace it with an open source HTML editor.

Personally I'd like something simple, light weight, and easy to integrate. But it should also be rich enough to serve the needs of a good CMS program. Here are some of the options I found while looking around last night. Please share your experience and opinions as well!

• Tiny MCE - probably the most popular online HTML editor right now. Used as the default editor in Telligent Community/Enterprise, Word Press, and many apps.  It has many many features, is actively developed, works in just about every browser, has good plugin support, and handles pasting from Word fairly well.  However it can be bloated and is a pretty big editor.
  • CK Editor - An improved version of the FCK Editor. The web site says it was a rewrite. FCK Editor is/was the second most popular editor after TinyMCE, also used by many apps, and similar to TinyMCE in features.
  • Yahoo UI Rich Text Editor - Used by Yahoo sites, so will be familiar to many users and should be compatible with most browsers, and is actively developed. I don't have personal experience with it.
  • Xinha - Fairly new open source editor, but looks promising. Says it supports IE/FF/Safari/Opera. Is based on the old HTML Area 4 editor.
  • WYMeditor - Says it produced very clean XHTML markup, however it doesn't support old presentation markup like Font/Colors - only uses CSS classes. This is a good thing for some people, but probably bad for users who expect the editor to look/work like Word.  Might be a good option as an optional/alternative editor for Graffiti
  • eArea - Looks extremely simple & light weight. Probably not capable enough to be the default Graffiti editor, but have never tried it.
  • jQuery editors - Now that Graffiti 1.3 is using the jQuery library, I'm curious if there are any good jQuery-based editors out there. I found a list of some here but don't have experience with any of them:  http://www.queness.com/post/212/10-jquery-and-non-jquery-javascript-rich-text-editors
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I'm good with Tiny MCE (and not just because I've done quite a bit of customizing it in the past for CS installations).  Like you said, it's used a lot and has decent support.

I'd also be all for using a jQuery editor if there is a good one out there.  I haven't used any of the ones that that link has either, but since the platform uses jQuery now, I don't see why we wouldn't want to take advantage of it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Has there been any progress or further discussion on replacing the current editor? 

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM

It was already updated to use the CKEditor about a month ago.