Adding custom data to Graffiti

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM

My interest in Graffiti is to use it as a jumping off point for a custom website that includes all the basic Graffiti functionality, wrapped around my custom asp.net database-centric application.

What would be the general 'best' strategy for adding access to a custom database thru Graffiti? For the sake of example, lets say I have a real-estate database (its not), and I want to include things such as gridviews, and web forms of data- for example, show a list of house in xxx town in a grid view, and then click on one to show the details of that property.

Is writing custom chalk extensions the way to go? or is their another way to use custom controls? Would I need to leverage the 'DataBuddy' routines for data access, or could I just use my own code?

Just looking for some basic guidelines on the approach to take, and then I can decide if for this particular project, Graffiti is the way to go; I am not looking to fit a square peg in a round hole though, and if Graffiti is not really intended for this type of 'extension', the sooner I figure it out the better.

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM

You can use chalk extensions or you could use the new $macros.Widget chalk function and create Graffiti widgets.  Although, for me, the latter still needs a little bit more robustness before I can use it for some of the things I want to do.  Honestly, Graffiti is powerful enough that you can do just about anything you want with it, but I couldn't personally tell you if it is right for your situation without knowing exactly what you want to do. 

As for the data, if you aren't connecting to the Graffiti database, I would say that you can go with whatever route works best for you.  I would recommend, however, that you don't change the Graffiti database with your custom tables - I would create a separate database, so upgrades to Graffiti are that much easier.