Duplicate post in sub-category

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I'm not a developer, just a person pretending I know how to use Graffiti for our Web site, which was set up by an intern who knows much more than I.

Anyway, I have been trying to create a new post in a sub-category. My category is "our members" and the sub-category is "biography." I created some templates for each of the member's biographies as placeholders. Then when I went back to add in more information, I couldn't find the post. No idea what happened, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be. So I went into the FTP directly and deleted the files that referred to that person's biography. Then I went back and tried to create a new biography post for that member, but now I'm getting an error that "A post in the selected category already exists with the same name." However, when I go through file browser/FTP, it's not there!

I have tried going through every other post in the biography sub-category, in case they were named wrong, but there is nothing with that person's name.

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Can you share the URL for your site and the name of one of the posts that you can't find? I can probably help you out better if I can take a look at things.

I'm a little confused by your post here because you're talking about using the file browser when there shouldn't be any files created for the posts - everything is stored in the database.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

The Web site is here: http://houserepublicans.wa.gov/.

The only post that has disappeared but apparently still exists because I can’t post with the same name in the same category would be under memberinfo/biography/Jason-overstreet.

However, these folders (“member info” and the sub-folder “biography”) are not visible by just typing it in as a url. They are brought up through AJAX coding. So, if you go to: http://houserepublicans.wa.gov/members/jason-overstreet/ and click on “biography” this is where the post would come up. Note that nothing comes up. It should come up in the way that “newsroom” does, in the middle space between the left nav and right sidebar. Anyway, I’ve tried to create a post called “Jason-overstreet” under member info, biography, and it gives me the error “post with same name already exists in this category.”

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 3:21 AM

A couple of things - First, I know it might be a dumb question, but in the Graffiti admin, have you looked at the various tabs on the "Posts" page (Draft, Pending Review, Requires Changes, Deleted)? My best guess is that the post is hiding in one of those tabs, which is why you can't create a new post with the same name.

Also, I see that your site is still running the commercial version of Graffiti (1.2). The current open source "beta" version 1.3 is quite stable (and we're really just a short discussion internally away from making it an official stable release). It has a TON of fixes and enhancements in it over the previous version, so I'd recommend that you try to upgrade if you are able to do so (I understand that it's for the government, and I know how difficult things like upgrades can be). The big reason to upgrade is that everyone here is pretty much only really familiar with the new version at this point, so we can all help out much more with that version.

If you don't have the internal resources to handle the upgrade, people here can provide varying levels of support from answering questions here on the forums all the way to providing freelance consulting to handle the upgrade and any other technical issues you have. If you get to the point where you would like to (and are able to) upgrade, just let us know and we'll definitely be able to help you out.