This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hosting Graffiti CMS on GoDaddy as a domain alias?

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Has anyone had any luck getting multiple Graffiti CMS sites up and running on GoDaddy hosting using their domain alias feature where all your sites live in sub folders? I'm not having any luck and the GoDaddy support is no help at all.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It must have been something on GoDaddy's side, they just started working out of nowhere.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Well enjoy it while it lasts…I have several graffiti sites hosted on godaddy and they really dislike the open permissions on all of the folders. If you are on a shared hosting account they will reset your permissions every time they move you onto a different server. The site will still be up, but you will be locked out of posting until you reset them. It’s good for 2-3 support calls per site every year.

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:40 AM
To: gudlife@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Hosting Graffiti CMS on GoDaddy as a domain alias? [graffiticms:285404]

It must have been something on GoDaddy's side, they just started working out of nowhere.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sounds like GoDaddy for sure.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Just out of curiosity are you still using this config with godaddy?  I just got a callback on an old Telligent 1.2 site.  Sure enough they have migrated it to another server and reset all of the permissions again.  The catch is that in all their wisdom godaddy now has a new policy (as of sometime last year) that will not allow you to set write permissions on the root folder.  So the site appears to function normally until you try to add an uncategorized post or a new category and then it of course can't write it.

Just curious what your alias config looked like and what I might get involved in trying to rehome this install.

Regards,

John

Coordinator
Mar 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Because I'm using aliases and sub-folders, I'm not needing to set the root of the GoDaddy folder to have write permissions. Also, I use 1.3 which doesn't write the folders to disk.