This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using GraffitiExtras or Graffiti Blog Extentions with Graffiti 1.3

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Just thought I'd drop a note for anyone wanting to use Graffiti Extras or Graffiti Blog Extensions with Graffiti 1.3:

I've successfully dropped in plug-ins and widget dlls from Rich Mercer, ScottW and Scott Cate and they worked fine as well as ones that I had written previously.

However the Graffiti Extras package and Graffiti Blog Extensions plugin did not. Both of them basically shut down the site.

For Graffiti Extras I had to get the source code, also here on codeplex, replace any dlls that it referenced from Graffiti with the newly compiled ones and then rebuild the Graffiti Extras project. Once I dropped the new Graffiti Extras dll into my site's bin folder then it started working properly and I got all the plugins and widgets available from that package. One additional note. I replaced the CookComputing.XmlRpc dll in the Graffiti Extras references with the CookComputing.XmlRpcV2 dll from Graffiti 1.3 and updated the reference. 

I'm sure Keyvan and the guys who work on Graffiti Extras will update the project soon to work with 1.3 but until then the above fix will work.

For the Blog Extensions plugin, which is hosting by KevinH on google code, I had to pull down the source code, convert it to a VS2008 solution (no issues, simple conversion, didn't even have it create a backup) and then recompiled it vs. new dlls from Graffiti 1.3. After dropping the new dll for that into my site's bin folder then that plugin showed up. I don't remember for sure, but I probably changed from the CookComputing v1 to v2 dll for this project, too.

Maybe KevinH can update the code in the Graffiti Blog Extensions project. :)

I'll post if I run into issues with any other plugins, packages, or widgets.

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Thanks Dan!

I've been thinking about what to do with the Graffiti Blog Extensions. It was created to make Graffiti a great all-around blog, and to be an example plugin for developers. From the start it was an open source plugin (on Google Code) so everyone could see some sample Graffiti plugin code as the Graffiti CMS code was not available.

However now that Graffiti is open source and hosted on CodePlex, I'm thinking about closing down the Blog Extensions google code project and moving it here. I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether it should be:

1. A separate CodePlex project linked to from the main Graffiti CMS project (this one)
  2. Include something like a "Core Plugins" folder in the source code on this project for Blog Extensions, and release it as a separate download in this project (Graffiti CMS)
  3. Just integrate the Blog Extensions code/features into Graffiti CMS core.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM

My preference would be to just move the functionality into Graffiti CMS core. The Graffiti Extras is a good project to showcase an example (lots of good examples!) for how to extend Graffiti so no use keeping it separate just for that. Plus, adding some features to the core will show everyone that we're serious about keeping Graffiti moving forward!

BTW, I have a couple of updates that I'll talk to you offline about submitting:

• An update to Post.ResolvedImagUrl (and then updating all the themes to use that rather than post.ImageUrl)
  • Add a Widget.FetchByTitle(string title) method
  • and a new macro - ShowWidget(string title), works with the code above and allows you to show a single widget anywhere in your markup. This will let you use things like a Delicious or Flickr widget outside of the left or right sidebar - like maybe in a footer.