This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Do I really need 777 permissions to run Graffiti?

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I am trying to get GCMS up and running on my rackspacecloud account, after having gotten it working just fine locally. I was really impressed with how easy it was to use and customize, and starting to think about using it for some clients...BUT, do I really need to give 777 permissions on the entire website to get this thing to work? That seems like a non-starter to me...isn't that basically like having no security at all?

Why does GCMS need such permissive security to run?

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It probably depends on whether you are using IIS6 or IIS7. If using IIS6 then folders and files need to be written by the application for each post (for the "pretty" urls). But if you are using IIS7 then it uses routing and the writing of folders/files is not required. My guess is that you probably don't need write permissions for the entire website if you are using IIS7, maybe just for your theme folder (if you want to do online updates) and actually the entire "files" folder for allowing posting of images, etc. Test it and see. And let us know what you discover!

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I did test it, and can't get it working, which is why I asked the question. I can change all my directories, except the root, to 777 , and it mostly worked, but still getting a lot of 404 errors (pages missing). My hoster (rackspacecloud) won't let me set the root to 777. I am running IIS7, but it seems this rlease may required .net3.5 SP1, and I can't tell if I have 3.5 SP1 installed or not - my tech support tells me I do, but I am not so sure I believe them.

OT: Anyone have a bit of aspx code that I could put into a file, upload to my host and run and have it report what version of everything I am running?

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:35 PM

OK< just as an update, in case anyone has the same questions, it looks like under IIS7, you do not need 777 permisions *IF* you have .net 3.5 w/SP1 installed.

I wasted a couple of days trying to get this working, and it all came down to not having SP1 on my host. Even though my hosting provider assured me that I did.

Now I am up and running, - hopefully this will save some time for someone else.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

The Rackspace Cloud has a strange bug (that they blame on Microsoft) so by default (no matter what permissions or impersonation you use) you cannot create directories on disk. You have to contact support and ask them to create a syslink for your site so you can create directories from code.

This of course is only if you are using the legacy version and creating folders on disk. If you are using the latest download from the Graffiti open source project you can use the redirect version, in this case you'll need to ask Rackspace to run your site's application pool in integrated mode.